Statement of purpose 1

statement of purpose 3

Biotechnology Sample SOP - MS

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE MS Biotechnology

I have been dedicated towards my studies right from childhood. During my school days onwards I developed a special flair towards biology and it is that interest that has persuaded me to take Biology as one of the majors in my 12th grade and Biotechnology as the major in my under graduation.

During my under graduation at Edited College of Technology I had been exposed to many subjects such as Plant Biotechnology, Animal Biotechnology, Biopharmaceuticals. I have deep interest towards molecular biology. The basic unit of life is the cell and the events associated with it is the molecular biology which when disturbed due to any reason causes problem in the form of disease, so whether a person lives normally or suffers from a disease it’s all depends upon the molecular biological state of his constituent cells.


In my second year of my under graduation I fermented wine from grape juice and made a fermenter model depicting a simple bioprocess which I exhibited in a science exhibition conducted by ISTE (Indian Society of Technical Education) received appreciation from everyone. I worked on the title “Isolation and Characterization of Invertase from Aspergillus flavus” these experiences helped me to tune my practical skills and knowledge. I had presented seminars on Ribozymes, Cholinesterase and Cystic fibrosis which have helped me to improve my academic skills.

I had undergone training at various research centers during my summer vacation on topics such as “Electrophoresis at Yercaud Biotech”, “Effluent Treatment at TNPL (Tamilnadu Newsprint and Papers Limited)”, “Plant Tissue Culture at TNAU (TamilNadu Agricultural University, Asia’s leading agricultural college)” and a day interaction with the scientist at IARI( Indian Agricultural Research Institute) on “Wheat Improvement Programme”. Apart from this as a part of our college curriculum we have visited leading biotech companies in India such as Biocon, Shantha Biotechnics, Sakthi sugars and Genei. These experiences have helped me in opening my mind about the research and development taking place in the field of biotechnology.

I would like to pursue my higher studies in the field of molecular biology. This would help me to develop into a very good professional and prepare me to take up research in my future. Education in America would aid in my intellectual growth and academic development.
I have gained an insatiable fervor to learn towards academic excellence and carry out research in the field of molecular biology through my four years of baccalaureate education. I strongly feel that an MS will help me achieving my goal. United States will offer me a very conducive atmosphere for research and development. I am eagerly awaiting for an admission from your esteemed university for my future endeavor in this field.


Statement of purpose 2